Two small-town kids out to see the world, one stop at a time.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cherry Blossom Season in Japan

Bridget:

One of the most beautiful birthday cards I’ve ever received was one from my Dad, about fifteen years ago.  It was from Japan, where he lives, and the cover was decorated with white and pink cherry blossoms in full bloom.  My Dad would rave about them, telling me they were the most spectacular sight to see in Japan.  I visited him in May of 2001, but unfortunately I was about two months too late to see any cherry blossoms in bloom.  I knew I had to come back to Japan someday to see them, but school schedules (both as a student and teacher) always conflicted with the trees’ blooming patterns.   When Craig and I were deciding what dates we would come visit my Dad in Tokyo, coming during cherry blossom season was a top priority. 

We arrived in Tokyo on Tuesday night, March 30.  Throughout the next week, we toured the most populated city in the world and fell in love with these gorgeous trees.  As it turns out, we timed it just right and saw the trees go from about 80% to 100% full bloom, or as the Japanese call it, “mankai.” The Japanese also love these trees, so much in fact, that they hold “cherry blossom viewing parties” under these canopies of cotton candy.  It’s like having a big picnic with your closest friends, family, or coworkers.   Craig and I got to see some of these parties being held in Ueno Park, one of the most popular spots for cherry blossom viewing:

"Hanami"  cherry blossom viewing parties in Ueno Park







Don't forget to take off your shoes!

There are several spots around Tokyo to see the cherry blossoms, but one of the most spectacular sights was the night-time cherry blossom viewing in Chidorigafuchi.  After dark, the trees are lit up with pink and white flood lights, creating the most surreal viewing experience:

Cherry blossoms bloom around the Imperial Palace's moat, with view of Tokyo Tower in background.



My dad, Gary, and Sanae at night-time cherry blossom viewing.



If you ever have a chance to visit Japan, please, please, please go around the end of March or beginning of April to see the cherry blossoms.  It has probably been one of the better decisions we’ve made since traveling.


No comments: