Two small-town kids out to see the world, one stop at a time.

Monday, January 18, 2010

A Sad Day

Craig:

My Chacos broke…




I really don’t know what to do.  Anyone who has ever known me or seen me has undoubtedly seen with me with sandals on.  I have been wearing sandals ever since I can remember.  Even when there was a foot of snow on the ground back in Nebraska, I was wearing sandals.  I remember one instance where my friends and I got stuck in a snow drift in my truck while trying to drive out to a friend’s house in the country.  It was minus 10 degrees out and school was cancelled so Jason, Anthony, and I drove out to Greg Schardt’s house to get him and bring him into town.  We buried my little Ford Ranger in a snow drift right in front of his house.  One might think that I would have been smart enough to wear snow boots on a trip out into the country in a blizzard.  Not me… I wore my Tevas.  My dad eventually got us out of the snow and was none too happy.  I think he was most upset at the fact that I was wearing sandals. 

Anyway, I bought my navy blue Chacos way back in 2003.  I bought them from the Moose’s Tooth outdoor store in Lincoln, NE.  Since then, they have been all over the place.  They have been whitewater rafting in Tennessee, rock climbing in Oregon, hiking in Costa Rica, beachcombing in Jamaica, backpacking in Colorado, Angel’s Landing in Zion, kayaking in New Zealand, and countless other places.  



Chacos on top of Pike's Peak, Colorado
 (pictured bottom-right with their handler, Craig Olson)


They have been my go-to footwear for over six years.  I paid $90 for the pair and they were worth every cent.  Now the search is on for a new pair of sandals.  It will more than likely be another pair of Chacos, but who knows…maybe I will give another sandal a chance to do me proud like my Chacos did.  Anyone who is in the market for a new pair of sandals, give a pair of Chacos a chance.  I promise you will not be disappointed. 

As for my feet, they will mourn the loss of such a great pair of friends but they will move on.  There are more mountains to climb, rivers to raft, and beaches to explore.  My feet will go on. 


2 comments:

Jason said...

I remember that.... good times.

countby5 said...

Craig, I also remember you burying the ranger. I also remember going into the fairgrounds and doing cookies and getting chased out. Poor ranger.

On the the sandals....I'll never get your fascination, but I do think it is quite cool and quirky.

Do you want me to get you another pair from Moose's Tooth? I do work in Lincoln....