Two small-town kids out to see the world, one stop at a time.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Christchurch Botanic Gardens... and Egg Goo



Bridget:

Last Sunday Craig and I both had the night off, so we headed out to the city's botanic gardens to do a little picture-taking.  Here are a few of the best ones:



Entrance to the gardens and Canterbury Art Centre in the background.


Interesting Iris Variety


Taking a stroll through the Japanese garden section.




Central Area of the Park where people like to hang out and relax or play "football." 



Flowering Rhododendron Bushes



Assortment of Wildflowers 



If anyone knows what flower this, please let me know :)  
(maybe the beginnings of a rhododendron flower?)


After spending a good couple hours meandering our way through the park, we crossed the bridge to the other side of the river that runs through Hagley Park and decided to head back to the house.  Having worked all day, I asked if we could please sit for a while on the bench to rest my feet.   A few minutes later as I am just about ready to keep walking, we are suddenly startled by something falling out of a tree...no, a rock being thrown our way....no, wait....oh yes...that would be three eggs being hurled at our backs from across the river.  One goes whooshing over our heads, the other misses, and SPLAT...the last one hits Craig directly on the lower back. I didn't realize they were eggs of course, until Craig turns around to show me his back.....his back that is dripping with egg goo.  We looked for the perpetrators and found them casually speed-walking their bikes away from us and ducking behind the closest row of bushes.  Punks!  Apparently, after retelling the story to my co-workers, this is the time of year for it....pranks, that is.  This is the end of the school year, so high school pranksters are out in full colors.  Well, next time we have decided to be prepared for anything.  So yes, that means we will be carrying eggs with us at all times. :)

1 comment:

Christy said...

Bridget (and Craig)...I have just been reading through your blog and MY WORD!!! You guys have been so many places and done so many things...I know it has been AMAZING for you!! I am so glad you guys are getting to experience all of these wonderful things together! Bridge...I am just so proud of you for doing all of this! Wish we could have seen ya'll when you did your trip...just know that I love you and I am thinking about you! Have a great time on this adventure...I know you will! LOVE YOU ALWAYS!!!!