Two small-town kids out to see the world, one stop at a time.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Good bye to the canoe club!

Craig:

Greetings everybody! As part of my first official blog post, I would like to take the opportunity to explain what I have been up to for the last six years. I left for Navy boot camp in September 2003 and after nine weeks of fun I entered the Nuclear Propulsion Training Pipeline in Charleston, SC. I graduated Nuclear Power School in August 2004 and went on to Prototype Training in Ballston Spa, NY. I left there in July of 2005 and was stationed in Kings Bay, GA aboard the USS Wyoming, a ballistic missile submarine, to be an Engineering Laboratory Technician. And after 4 long years of naval service, I am proud to say that I will be honorably discharged from the US Navy on September 21.


Here is my naval career by the numbers:

Years of service: 6
Number of days spent underwater: 392
Strategic Deterrent patrols completed: 6
Birthdays missed: 1
Number of Nuclear Reactors I have seen: 3
Total Amount of Radiation Exposure I received: 211 mrem
Number of Foreign Ports visited: 0
Number of Domestic Ports visited: 1 (Kings Bay, GA)
Longest period of time without seeing the sun: 52 days
Number of Ballistic Missiles launched from my boat: 0
Number of Fictitious Ballistic Missiles launched from my boat: 312
Number of real fires on my boat: 0
Number of fictitious fires on my boat: 87

So US Navy... I say good bye to you on good terms. I learned a lot, made many new friends, experienced a lot of new things (like pepper spray and tear gas), but it is time to move on. Moving on to bigger and better things. There are waves to surf, sunsets to watch, foreign countries to visit, underwater coral reefs to explore, seas to be sailed, and mountains to be climbed. So I leave you with a picture of the good times to come!

No comments: